The holidays can be a fun time for you and your family. However, they also pose a danger to your pets because your four-legged family members can easily get hurt or consume toxins that can be harmful to them. Here are some things that can harm your pets during the holiday season.
It’s not uncommon for all sorts of holiday sweets to be easily accessible to pets during this season, and many of these can hurt animals if they are consumed. Cookies and candies can cause them to get an upset stomach. Chocolate can make them throw up, get diarrhea or worse. Remember, chocolate is toxic to dogs. The packaging that many of these sweets are wrapped in can be harmful as well and can cause a blockage in the intestines.
Christmas Tree Preservatives
If you are like a lot of families and opt for a real Christmas tree, there’s a good chance that you put a Christmas tree preservative inside of the tree’s stand to try to keep it looking green as long as possible. However, many pets end up drinking it and poisoning themselves. These preservatives can cause them to have gastrointestinal issues.
Lights and Ornaments
A lot of pets like to chew on items that they see hanging on the Christmas tree such as Christmas lights and ornaments. If the lights are plugged in, your pet can be electrocuted. If they chew on some of these ornaments, they can cut the inside of their mouth and intestines.
Many individuals like to decorate their homes with poinsettias during the holidays. While these plants are pretty, they are very poisonous to pets. If your pet ingests them, they can irritate the esophagus. The sap can also cause an itchy rash.
Your home may have all sorts of items in it that can be dangerous or toxic to your pet. Fortunately, you can keep your furry friends safe by not putting these items in areas where your pets can access them. If you are looking to add a new pet to your Arizona home this holiday season, contact Arizona Small Dog Rescue. We have a variety of small dogs available to foster or adopt.